Thursday, June 14

Tulsa Tough

First let me say this is well run event, with cool courses and a community that is totally behind it. I represented VC for the weekend along with Jon Baker. It was also relative easy travel. Caught a flight from Denver, took the complimentary hotel shuttle to the Race Hotel, which was within a mile of all 3 courses. I would highly recommend doing this race, if you like Crits.

Friday - 7pm start, poured rain the whole race. 10+ crashes. Every time we came through the wheel pit, there were 4-5 dudes getting a free lap. I like racing in the rain and was feeling great. Sitting 10th wheel with three corners left, when the guy on my inside layed it down, sliding under me. I basically rode him across the pavement. Got up adjusted my brakes and rolled in 23rd/100. Minor scratches.

Saturday - Sitting 15th with 5 laps to go, when I heard the infamous "inside, inside" then got t-boned. The guy high sided me and I landed hard on my butt and back. Wasn't able to get up for a while, so didn't get the free lap, plus my bike was screwed. DNF/100

Sunday - crit had a steep climb. Stayed towards the front. 3 guys got away. I goofed up coming through when I saw 1 lap to go on the counter. It was actually for the break that was catching us. I hit it hard up the hill pulling away a group of 4, but then realized I didn't hear the bell, so we got caught going through the start finish again. I was able to hang towards the front the last time through and finished 14th in the field, 17th overall out of 100.

Overall I felt pretty good all weekend, without the crashes, I think I would have pulled some good results. Sunday I was quite sore, especially my lower back which started to act up the last couple of times up the climb. I ended up a lot of road rash on my right elbow and arm, and I left my right butt cheek back in Tulsa. Tailbone was bruised as well.

Other Damage - Broken handlebars, Broken seat, cracked frame, worped both my wheels, broken barrell adjuster on the front brake. I didn't find the crack in my frame until wednesday the following week, after I raced sunday and the Mead training race on Tuesday. Luckily Excel was able to warranty my frame and had me rolling again Satuday for Rist. Big props to Dan at Excel for taking care of me.

1 comment:

Bike Drool said...

Sounds like an epic weekend! I thought about going, for about all of two seconds before scrapping the idea.

Sorry you hit the deck. Crashing sucks. But, damn, yo! 17th overall out of 100 is pretty damn sick!!

Cat. 2, here you come, eh?

Doing anymore races around here? Keep Crit. Nationals in mind... Downers Grove. Okay, the USCF races are a joke because they are so stupid short (I think the 3s race is like 20 min. + 3 laps, or something ridiculous), but it's awesome to watch the USPRO Crit - which is the main reason to go, and us little people get a "side" race to keep us busy while we wait. Pretty much.