Saturday, March 18

CU Crit - A Display of Mastery Level Bike Handling (NOT)

First race of the year. Started out mid pack and worked my way up to the top 20 after a few laps, and basically stayed there. The course, while being easy to navigate, wasn't technical enough to string out the pack except on Prime Laps. If every race was as sketchy as this one was, I don't know if I would do another crit. Chaz and I were following each others wheel until about 4 laps to go and I started to move up. The pack was getting strung out and things were starting to set up great. I felt great as well, until the 3-4 guys on the front decided to sit up on the back stretch going into a headwind. I guess nobody wanted to drive the pace into the wind. I was sitting about 15th, when 4 guys slingshotted down the inside corner when the pack slowed. They ended up trying to pass in the gutter going into the corner and 1 guy about a bike length ahead and to the inside of me touched wheels. I saw it coming, but couldn't avoid it. He then swerved and laid it down in the middle of the pack, I was the 3rd guy to go down. I basically ran over the 2 guys in front of me, only my right elbow (small scratch) and right side of my back touched the ground. Bike - had to take it to the shop to get both wheels trued and my derailer hanger straitened. Happy I'm fine and bike is fine as well, but still sucks working to stay at the front to avoid crashes and get taken out because of passing in the gutter. Check out JFB's post for pics. In the pic on the right I'm on the left side of the group in orange with a red helmet. My teamate Chaz is tucked in behind my wheel.

2 comments:

Bike Drool said...

I laughed outloud at your headline.

Anonymous said...

Ya man... I could not believe how scetchy that race was. The worst crit I have ever been in! I'm sure they will get a bit safer.