Monday, May 14

Wheels of Thunder

Had a large contingent of VC on hand. Brent, Marty, Jayson, Lance, and Jared. I had 2 game plans, try to win some primes, or wait for the finish sprint and hunt some upgrade points. I accomplished neither, but felt I had a great race. Instead, I got bored, and chased down several breaks, and was in a couple others. Coming into the last half a lap, I was sitting about 15th on the top part of the course, and saw Brent and Teno top 5. I knew Brent had been sitting in most of the race, so would be fresh for the sprint so I went to the front to group with them. Their was a JDS rider off the front a couple seconds, and no one wanted to chase. We were still to far out for a lead out, but were starting to get swarmed on both sides, so I decided, now or never. Put my head down with Brent and Teno on my wheel, and got us to the last corner. A guy started his sprint about 600m out (WTF) and came around me. I couldn't match the acceleration at that point, so I swung out letting Brent come through, then swung back in. Brent followed some wheels and finished 5th. I held on for 10th. Teno 16th, Marty 18th, Lance 21st. Jared got caught behind the pile-up on the last lap. I was very happy with 10th since I basically led out the whole field for the sprint, I just didn't have any pop left to sprint. I'm glad everyone finished safely.

While we did have a lot of VC guys in the field today, and several where aggressive trying to get off the front, or chasing things down, I think we could have made the race a lot harder and worked on our organization as a team. I think if we have all 6 of us again, we are strong enough as a team to break it up, but that may mean sacrificing individual results. I would take a win for the team anyday, over a top 10 for myself. Hopefully we can put something together for this weekend.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yet again...Dugan delivers. Nice work holmes.

PS...you can't move