Sunday, April 2

Koppenberg

Koppenberg

Well I was hoping for wind to help break the pack up today, because the road was in such good shape, and I got more than I asked for (30+mph). Large field of 105 made the early start. Started on first row followed Matt, Jeremy, and Ty's wheel the first lap. They kept us in good position good position going into the climb (17% grade). I felt good first 2 laps. By the start of the 3rd lap we were down to 25. I was sitting towards the back of this pack and figured I better mover up prior to the next climb and ~5 guys were getting dropped each time up. I shot forward about 200 meters before the climb straight into the head wind (big mistake). Worked hard over the climb sitting 3rd. I sat up with a guy from 5280 to recover as a guy on our left attacked about where the finish line was. I was smoked at this point (HR 188) as a couple of other guys started chasing I just couldn't hold a wheel in the 30+ mph cross/head wind. I chased and got back on thanks to 40+ mph decent heading down marshall road. I caught the pack about 500m before we hit the gravel again. At this point we were single file and the guy in front of me opened up a gap, and that was it. We chased, but got no love from the headwind. finished up 21st with the winners in sight. Finished 1:46 off the winner with a time of 49:09. Made a couple of mistakes on the 3rd lap that cost me. Learned alot and had fun. Ty had an awesome race and rolled in 18th 30 seconds in front of me. He looked strong. I think he has been doing secret ninja training in his basement at night, because he says he hasn't been riding. It was nice to have a teamate to work with most of the race. Thanks Jeremy G. as well for helping close a gap on the 1st lap so I didn't have to.

1 comment:

TK said...

Great race Dugan! You will be top 10 at Deer Trail. You would have been there this time if it wasn't for that guy's ill-timed attack at the top of the climb after you had just finished hammering. Just a little patience and a lot of luck.