Monday, April 10

Oredigger Classic Part 2

Well my time put me in 24th for the Hill Climb. I'm coming to the realization that climbing isn't my stregnth. Danielson did it in 16:02 (new record) 2 minutes faster than anyone else. Next was the Coors Tech Center Crit. It is a 1.6 mile loop with a few sweeping turns and two that were 90 degrees. It also has a 150-200 ft climb each lap and the finish line is at the top. When I got to the race, I found out that they weren't running it as an omnium, so no overall points. Anyway the race started fast as always and I stayed in the top 20 most of the race. I didn't have any teamates so I planned to just sit in the whole race. Each time up the climb guys were getting spit out the back. I spinned up it in my small ring to try and save my legs for the last couple laps, while others were grinding out there big ring. I felt good the first couple laps and we were down to a group of 30. There was a small break of 4 that got off the front after a prime, but they weren't organized, so I just sat in. 2 laps later we were all back together with 3 to go. On this lap a guy attacked hard up the hill and had a good gap, it took us a lap to chase him down. At this point it was single file for the top 15 guys. Setting up the last lap Spine & Sports team moved 4 guys to the front for a leadout. I hopped in 7th wheel. I was feeling pretty good, but was trying to stay patient. S&S started their leadout way too early and 200 meters before the climb there was only 2 guys left so they slowed and a second leadout came in on my inside, boxing me in. Not much I could do at this point, but wait for things to break up so I could move around. I hit the climb in ~15th place and hammered in my big to the top. I rolled through 8th. This course suited me well. I was pretty happy with this result. I had a hard week of training, and this was a C race for me. Next race for me will be in 2 weeks, as I'm trying to get in some good training hours for Deer Trail.

Props to James for his strong finish in the HC, smoked me.

No comments: