Monday, April 30

Boulder Roubaix & AFA 4.14.07

Roubaix - Rolled to the race with Taylor. I was excited to finally get to race with him, since we train a lot together. Since it was so nice out DBC Events added a lap at the start to make it 62 miles of fun. Pretty uneventful race besides the roughness of the road, every lap guys would pop off the back. I found some good lines and tried to stay in those areas most of the race. Last lap couple guys attacked, so I moved to the front to see what was going to happen. My calves were starting to crap into and over the last hill, so I backed off a little. I drank 2 large and 1 small bottle with electrolyte mix, and didn't feel dehydrated, so i don't know what caused that. Was sitting about 25th coming out of last corner, (had about 50/85+ guys left at that point). I then moved up trying to get ready for the sprint. The pace really picked up about 600m out, and I lost the draft behind a guy that poppped and couldn't close the gap. Held everyone else off for 16th place about 5 seconds back from the winner. Taylor rocked a 6th place. There was a spectacular crash at the end of the 3s. heard everyone was ok, which was good, b/c it was nasty. Overall I felt great about the race. My goal was top 30. Big confidence booster considering there were 85+ starters and that course is hard. Felt 10 times better than Koppenberg. Only
felt like i was going into the red one time before the finish, and I was able to recover pretty easy.

AFA - Ouch. 4 laps/50.3 miles with +1000ft climbing per lap on the 1986 world championship course, 65+ starters. 1st time up the long climb field shattered. Kept 10 leaders in sight. Got back on after descent with a group of 9. We had a huge crosswind on the descent and a huge headwind on the flats leading to the climb. About 35 guys in the main group for start of the second climb. Got dropped again. Rode a teamates wheel the rest of the climb. I regrouped with 6 other guys and we
chased. I popped on a flat headwind section, about 100m off the main group. I almost got back on, but we then started the climb again. Rode solo for half a
lap. Another rider caught me and we rode the last lap together picking off a couple guys. I finished 27th. I was tired when I started so I was happy with my
finish. Chalk it up to training. I was absolutely cooked after the race, and the next day. Man that course is hard, especially with the 20+ mph wind. Marty had a great day scoring a 9th place. Kid can climb and should pull some good results this year.

No comments: