Thursday, July 6

Proctor Cycling Classic

Last weekend I headed back to Illinois to visit my bro and get a race in. I did the Proctor Cycling Classic Road Race which also happened to be the Illinois State Championship. I was excited to race back home, just to see how it compared to Colorado.

picture

The course was challenging with several rolling hills, but a little short for the 4s if you ask me, only 32 miles. My plan was to sit in the first lap then hammer the last 5 miles (several steep climbs) as I thought it would split apart leaving ~15 guys. 32 miles wouldn't be long enough to make endurance a factor or be a advantage for me. Race started off as planned, basically a group ride. No real attacks, and no one driving the pace, big suprise. Waited for the last 3 climbs and I went to the front and picked the pace up. Got a good gap over the first climb and hoped some guys would bridge, instead 1 guy dragged everyone up to me at which time, I gave the flick of the elbow to pull through with no reaction, so I sat up, and so did everyone else. On the next climb did the same thing, got everything strung out, and finally turned around and told the guy to pull through, to which he replied, I can't. So basically they wouldn't let me go, but wouldn't work either. At this point we only had 2 miles left and I couldn't recover in time for the sprint, so came through in 8th place. Team Mack won with XXX taking 2nd or 3rd. Big results for 2 teams that had over 5 guys each who didn't attack, help ride tempo, or do anything proactive. Do I sound a little bitter? I guess they did win, but we should have all just hung out telling stories for an hour, then got on our bikes and sprinted for the town sign. What a waste of a cool course. If I come back next year, I'll definately be bringing some teamates.

Differences between Ill and CO - Colorado is more agressive, faster, and teams play more of a role in the race. Competition is a lot tougher in CO. CO Courses are a lot longer, usually 50-65 miles. ILL climbs are bumps in the road in CO. While 30 guys did finish with the main pack, if this same race had happened in CO the whole race would have stayed together. Field size was only 70 guys.

Similarities - 4s race negatively in both states. Bike handeling skills basically the same.

2 comments:

TK said...

Dugan,
Nice pick. I must say you are looking pretty comfortable in the peleton these days.
Sounds like this could have been an awesome race with a few more aggressive racers who like to make others suffer. But it Sucks that you gave all that effort only to get passed by 7 guys at the finish who were along for the ride. I know you are a little bitter, but you represented well and top 10 is always good. Next year you can go back and kick some butt in the 3s. You should get a little more help there.

Bike Drool said...

Dawg, you're going good this year!!

Yeah, the racing in CO is definitely harder than the mid-west. Up to a point... it seems like at the P/1/2 level, even when CO guys come out here, they don't just easily mop the floor with everyone.

Do you have Tour fever yet? I've been watching OLN like a maniac.