Monday, July 10

Andy Finch/Sara Kay Memorial Crit

Andrei and I, along with 45 other nut jobs braved the fierce
condtions for 50 minutes of pain on Sunday. (Temp was 59 and poured rain the whole race) I could have used a snorkel the first couple of laps. Felt like someone was holding a water hose in my face. After I settled in, tried my hand at getting off the front with a few other guys. We would get about 5-8 guys off the front but only about half would work or pull through. After my second attempt I went back to the pack and Andrei had a go which helped keep the pace high. I was able to recover during this point and when he was caught I attacked again over the top of
the climb to keep popping guys off. I never made an all out effort
to go solo, just to gap the field with the hope a few guys would
bridge and we could get going. After this attack no one bridged so I
sat up. That left us with 2 laps to go. Starting the last lap over the hill one of the guys I had been in an earlier break with attacked and got a good gap. I waited to see if anyone else was going to go, not wanting to drag the whole group up to his wheel. Finally Greg (Spike Cycling Team) jumped so I worked with him to bridge. The three of us ended up getting caught on the last straightaway, but had done our damage to the field because only 1 guy was able to counter before the last corner and climb. I ended up getting 4th. Greg got me by half a wheel for 3rd. The Winner got off the front after about 2 laps, and soloed home. I never knew he was gone until somebody said something with 3 laps to go, as I spent the first couple laps towards the back. I was really happy with race, being able to get off the front 4 different times and still finish strong on the climb. It was good to see Andrei at the front putting the hurt on as well and finish strong in 18th. We are now tied for 3rd place for the Best Team Competition and only 23 points out of first.

No comments: