Thursday, February 16

Numbers?

Had my first VO2 max test today as part of a study through the University of Colorado. This was my first of three I'll do over the course of the next year. I will also know my lactate threshold heartrate in a couple of weeks. The highest they tested so far in the study came from a Pro and his was 58. My numbers, nothing spectacular:

VO2 max = 52.2 ml/kg/min

I've seen some data that shows world-class atheletes average 70-80. Don't thinkg I'll ever get there, but should be able to raise it some over the next year, we'll see. The crazy things we do just for some numbers.

For those not into endurance sports, VO2 max is a predicter of aerobic capacity.

2 comments:

Bike Drool said...

That is interesting! I'm pretty sure I do not want to know mine, as it would make me sell all my bicycle gear and take up bowling! Big Lebowski style!!

C. Dugan said...

I was definately nervous about finding out mine for the same reason. Depending on what reference you use, mine is a little better than average to excellent for my age. Not exactly a fun test to do.