Monday, March 30

Newton Neutral Racer

So I bought a pair of the Newton Running Neutral Racers a couple of months ago, to try before the River 2 River Relay race coming up. Last year I ran in a pair of Saucony Progrid Triumph 4. I originally chose these, because they felt best out of my few options available in Paducah. I don't dislike these shoes, but I found it difficult to change my running style and I always felt beat up after a run of 3-5 miles. These however are my favorite pair of shoes, when it comes to strength training.

Regarding the Newtons, I should preface this brief review with the following information. I don't really like running, but have a great time doing this relay race, and have considered doing a triathlon in the future, so I casually run from Jan-April. I know very little about proper running technique or training. I decided on the Newtons after reading a couple different reviews and watching some video's. I was basically looking for anything that would make me more efficient and comfortable. My goal was to find a shoe that would be comfortable and light that I could use to run 5-10k distances.

Initially I started with short runs of only 1 mile to familiar with the shoe, and allow my feet to adjust. It does feel different at first, especially for me, as I was a heel striker. I did have a little soreness in my Tibialis Anterior muscles. After 4-5 runs I started to increase my distance, and have had no problem sense. Currently I'm running 4-5 miles 3 times a week at a pace of 8min/mile. I plan to start increasing my pace with a goal of running 6-7min/mile for the R2R. For reference, last year during my first leg of the race I averaged a 6:30 min/mile for 3 miles, and a 7:30 min/mile for 3 miles on my last one.

I do think the metatarsal pads on the bottom of the shoe, train you to run on that part of the foot. It feels really uncomfortable in these shoes to go back to striking the heel. I have also noticed that they have made me more conscious of not overstridding. This may become more of a problem as I try to increase my pace. They are super light, but I've never felt that I needed more cushioning or support in these. My only complaint is that they do feel awkward running down moderate hills, but again I've never found this comfortable. Some complaints that I've read about are: (1)They aren't good to use on the treadmill....I've used them on the treadmill several times and have had no problems. (2) They wear quite quickly....Mine have minimal wear after about 40 miles. I have no desire to become a long distance runner so I don't see this being a problem for me. I don't think they would be the ideal shoe for marathons, but I could be wrong. I also don't believe you will want to run sprints in these either, but for moderately paced distances of 5-20k I think they are great. I should also mention that I haven't tried any racing flats, which also are highly recommended for those distances.


I'll post another update after the Race. Wish me luck.

No comments: